Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Getting started: Jim's COVIDiary

Yesterday and today, I sent emails to The News & Observer asking that in the print edition the acronym COVID-19 (COronaVIrus Disease-2019) not be hyphenated/broken at the end of a line. Throughout the newspaper, you'll find CO- on one line and VID-19 on the next. Hyphenation of acronyms is a no-no. Imagine if JFK (John Fitzgerald Kennedy), USA (United States of America), NCSU (North Carolina State University) or, of all things, The N&O (News & Observer) were hyphenated. Would the latter be N- &O or N&- O?

Maybe I have too much time on my hands, especially when when I have time to send corrections and complaints to the newspaper editors. On another website, I wrote about The N&O's Op-Ed editing policy, especially of renown columnists: All The News That's Fit or All The News That Fits.

Being retired during times such as now is not a bad gig to have. I keep busy with lots of odds and ends including a handful of freelance writing assignments for Business North Carolina magazine in Charlotte NC and Textile Services, a magazine for a trade association in Alexandria VA. Every now and then I submit a story to The N&O which publishes it for free! I get paid for my effort from the first two publications; writing for the latter is for my enjoyment and hopefully for the readers of The N&O. Here's one of my latest as published in The N&O and on a blog on another website: Former Wolfpack football coach Dick Sheridan elected to College Football Hall of Fame.

Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University
over-looks uptown Raleigh from the 11th hole tee.
So, with time on my my hands, golf at Lonnie Poole Golf Course on the NC State University campus two to three times a week is on the schedule. I walk the course, pushing my bag on a cart up and down hills to the tune of about five miles a round. Our groups social distance six feet or more throughout the round. We follow the course restrictions. We do not compete for prizes or money. I love golf. Been playing for over 60 years. But during this unusual time, it's not been nearly as much fun as it was when we all put $6 in the pot, walked and talked in close proximity, and played net skins or net Stableford scoring. Maybe we'll figure out something to return to the competitiveness. Someday the post-round lunch, beers and lies about that day's play will be back.

The New Yorker jigsaw
In the past month, I've completed three jigsaw puzzles with 500 pieces each: A The New Yorker magazine cover; a Triazzle JigSaw; and, an Endangered Species Sea Otter. Thanks to our daughter and the wife of my brother-in-law for providing the distractions. We have three puzzles waiting in the wings, one with 750 pieces.

There's FaceTime with Samuel, our grandson born December 18, 2019, and talking with our granddaughtersLivy and Sophieon Hangouts or FaceTime. My wife loves long walks, 4 to 5 miles at a time. On days I do not play golf, I tag along. It's good for my health and to accommodate my beer habit. I'm two years into piano lessons, now 45 minutes via FaceTime. I took lessons in my early childhood. It's gradually coming back to me. And, there's yard work and binge watching television shows to use some of that time on my hands.

Triazzle JigSaw puzzle
Attending First United Methodist Church Cary service Sunday is out of the question so we "go" by watching the live stream on our computers and smart phones. Though the fellowship is lacking, the service is quite good. Short and to the point. That's important with so many at home distractions. Then we have a Zoom meeting with our Sunday School class with 35-40 attending. Lots of food for thought; maybe too much. I'm instructed to ask no questions and offer no comments. I must be the Doubting Thomas or the Devil's Advocate in the class. Having Sunday church service, Sunday school and other church gatherings during the week electronically makes you wonder about the need for large church facilities. If the church is taking care of the congregation only and not the community, smaller facilities may be required. FUMC Cary offers much care to the Cary community, which is reason for the current expansion project.

Endangered Species
Sea Otter Jigsaw
I do the grocery shopping, trying to limit it to once a week, a quick run through the local Harris Teeter, carefully avoiding other patrons. Knowing what you want and where it is helps. Occasionally, we order takeout for lunch from Rukus Pizza, Pasta and Spirits in Apex, about two miles from home. We support Cary's Bond Brothers Brew Co., just as we have since it opened a few years ago. Now, instead of sitting at the bar or on the outside patio, we order for Saturday drive thru pick-up, buying local craft beers, some by Bond Brothers, others by other area breweries. Every now and then, we buy a case of wine from the Wine Merchant  in Cary. We should support more local establishments, but we also want to save though retirement is treating us well.

Sleeping these days is not easy. Too many worries, especially when thinking of our son and his family, our daughter and her family, and my 90-year-old mother-in-law, all healthy but frustrated with necessary restrictions to stay healthy. I get through these trying times by being thankful our family is in good health, physically and financially, and we have things to keep us busy, such as writing periodically to the editors of The N&O.

And blogging this diary: Jim's COVIDiary. Enjoy. It will not be as long next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment