Thursday, June 11, 2020

Curb your dogs: Please, no more urinating and defecating in any yard

It's not a new problem or issue to solve. Ever since there have been dogs, there have been dogs that urinate and defecate on lawns, shrubs, and flowers belonging to someone other than the dog owners, and at the urging of those owners walking their dogs with the primary purpose of voiding those little and large darlings' bowels and kidneys. It must stop! (Dogs do have kidneys, don't they?)

With the coronavirus keeping us home more than not, we notice these things much more. Some dog owners have a specific time of day to walk their pets; others pick weird times of day, probably to avoid homeowners from watching the crime of nature take place, especially on their property, ruining grass and flower growth and without one damn apology.

We recently acquired a sign of a dog with one of its hind legs lifted. Obviously, the dog is male and peeing. Across the body of the dog it says "No!" in hope the dog-walkers will keep those precious and precarious animals from making a stop at our mailbox to do their thing. We prefer not to confront the owner, just let them see the message and hopefully heed it and take steps, such as jerking the leash, to prevent the culprit from relieving itself on our flowers, grass and shrubs.

A few months ago, we noticed a neighbor placed several "Please curb your dog" signs along its yard frontage. Then we saw a next door neighbor add a "No!" image of a dog squatting to drop its excrement, fancy word for "stuff," in his yard. After watching two or three neighbors walking their dogs but not doing the neighborly thing by holding back Rover or Mutt, keeping the dog pee from hitting our property, we opted for the sign with the dog with leg lifted, hoping the humans will get the message.

I want a sign that says, "If your dog craps or pees on our yard, please leave your address so we can return the favor." My wife vetoed that idea.

I'm not sure what's happened in the yard of another concerned neighbor, one who also walks dogs and who recently added interesting yard art along their curb. It's of a little man, a squatting gnome, taking a dump. Next to it is a small sign that says "No!" Makes me wonder if there's someone walking a dog or if a dog is walking someone.

12 comments:

  1. Love your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jim. Very nice. This is one of the reasons living rural and having 26 acres is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since the sidewalk is on our side of the street, 99% of the dog walkers walk by our yard. Given that, it is surprising how little poop I have to remove. But when it does happen I ask myself what is it about the way my near perfectly manicured yard looks that makes someone think I don’t care about them leaving dog poop in my yard? Plus, before the pandemic my grandkids played in that space. Why would anyone think that’s ok?

    Another thing that bothers me is that some people who bag the poop think it is ok to put it in my trash can when it is at the curb on trash pick up days. It is bad enough if it happens before pick up. But it is infuriating when it happens after pick up, ie it has a whole week to smell up my trash can. So, I pull it out and take it down the street to the pooping station. Ugh....

    There is a lot going on in our country, that makes me think, wouldn’t exist (or at least would not be on display) if we hadn’t forgotten how to behave and show good manners. Grandma would be appalled and so am I.

    Enjoyed the post.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one. I enjoy your writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jim for the laugh. I totally agree with you on the poop issue but the pee part I’m more liberal. Being a dog grandparent, I’ve learned that lots of times the peeing isn’t really peeing. It’s a fake marking. Depending on their mood, they can look like their peeing every minute. In our old shared neighborhood in Cary, we had a sidewalk near a popular greenway. I was always amazed how people would leave their bagged poop along the sidewalk margins on our lawn. I assumed they left it there thinking they would pick up on their way back. I thought they forgot. Now I’m really wondering. PS, do you really think your lawn has been damaged by dog pee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, yes our lawn and various flowers have been damaged by the dog pee. And we observer dog-walkers bypassing other lawns to get to familiar territory for the dog. I say owners should walk the dogs back and forth across their own lawn and reap the benefits for themselves!

      Delete
  6. I'm the lady with the gnome. Tucker does like to pee on the flowers on the other neighbors side of your yard, but I always pull him back from walking on flowers. I'm sorry Jim. I put the gnome out there because I thought it was funny and would lighten the mood. I didn't realize you were so thin skinned. I'll move it, but Tucker and Charlotte will always get their evening walk as they need the exercise. I NEVER leave poopies on any yard as that's disgusting. Have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not thin-skinned. I think your gnome is funny. Leave it there. It's a good conversation piece. We have issues with dogs peeing on our flowers at the mail box. That's why we got our sign, in hopes dog-walkers will have a bit more respect for the neighborhood. Peeing in yards other than your own is just not acceptable.

      Delete
    2. I'll be sure to make sure I pee in my own yard. 😁 Thanks for stating the "rules" on exceptable behavior.

      Delete
  7. Don't think you're thin-skinned, Jim. Been thinking the same thing myself. If folks would walk their dogs to an HOA common area or Lake Pine, we wouldn't have this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't think you are thin-skinned, Jim. If people would walk their dogs to HOA common areas or Lake Pine, we wouldn't have this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can relate. A gnome dumped in my yard the other day!

    ReplyDelete